Saturday, February 20, 2010

"No Narnia"







Click on image to enlarge




I suppose on some level, I am still directing things but it has become something unintended.
Paint has surprised. I have done and undone - yet still it has gone its own way.
I have suggested things - it has suggested things to me.
The abstract exploration of the notion of paint and canvas.....(it does explore those things) is no longer abstract.
For a while the canvas became a skin (which it sort of is) and the slicing with blades and subsequent stitching up made it feel strangely personal.
Harm done to and by, hurts mended, the common human losses and regrets we learn to weave into the fabric of our days.
On a formal level the more ravaged the surface, the more lovely it appeared.
A fascination with Ambivalence continued as a stream running through.
In the end though I was unable to resist it's pull -it became a canvas in search of an object, a page in search of a story.
The fragmented skin spoke of bark and trees, the whiteness of snow.
I was 10 again, last 15 minutes of school day spent in Narnia.
But this is no Narnia.
Narnia had it's problems ... but there are some things that never would have happened there.....

(Click on images below to enlarge)




























No comments: